How to Apply for Papal Blessing Parchments, directly or online.
1. Directly from the Papal Charities Office in Vatican City
It is possible to enter in person the Office of Papal Charities inside Vatican City, by entering Saint Anne’s Gate (on the right side of the colonnade of Saint Peter’s Square), during these hours: 9.00 am to 1.30 pm (Monday to Saturday). Parchments can be requested here by choosing from all the templates available, which are then to be collected in person or sent by post.
2. Online from this website (No other internet sites are authorized to receive or forward parchment requests)
2.1 The request process must be followed by supplying the necessary data and by following the instructions indicated in the various sections:
1. Choose the occasion for which the Apostolic Blessing is being sought.
2. Choose the parchment template (according to the various occasions).
3. Enter the data needed for the preparation of the parchment (one or more parchments can be requested in this way).
4. Registration of the person making the request (one can create a personal account which can be used for future requests), and choice of collection at the Vatican* (during the opening hours indicated) or mailing to anywhere in the world, by DHL Express Courier (the destination address is to be inserted, which can be different from the address of the person making the request).
* Service available only for requests from Italy.
5. Contribution paid by credit card (only VISA and MasterCard). An email is then sent from the Charities office that confirms the process has been completed correctly.
2.2 Information needed to request parchments:
– the name and surname of the person(s) for whom the Blessing is being requested;
– the reason or occasion prompting the request;
– the date, the name of the church and the place where the occasion is taking place and for which the Blessing is being requested (these are all necessary in the case of a Sacrament, religious profession or an anniversary; the date of the occasion may not be more than six months away, or less than four months from the day of request);
– the address (together with email address and phone number with international prefix), where the parchment is to be posted.
2.3. Time needed for parchments to be ready is about 15 days for collection at the Charities Offices (the data on which a Parchment can be collected will be given in the confirmation email), and 20 days in the case of post (the DHL Express Courier will send an email for taking over the delivery charge, and with the relevant tracking number).
2.4 Costs regard the following:
– the parchments (ranging from 16 to 24 Euros according to the template chosen)
– mailing by DHL Express Courier:
|Italy||€ 13,00||(up to 20 parchments, or € 20.00 when more than 20 parchments)|
|Europa, USA, Canada||€ 18,00||(up to 5 parchments, or € 23.00 when more than 5 parchments)|
|Mexico, Central and South America, Oceania and Asia||€ 23,00||(up to 5 parchments, or € 27.00 when more than 5 parchments)|
|Africa||€ 30,00||(up to 5 parchments, or € 40.00 when more than 5 parchments)|
N.B. In this connection, it is important to emphasize that, after subtracting the costs of preparing and posting the parchment, all proceeds are applied entirely to the works of charity undertaken daily in the name of the Pope by this Office, in service of the poor.
2.5 Circumstances and occasions for which papal blessing parchments are granted
1. Baptism, First Holy Communion, Confirmation (only for single person)
3. Priestly Ordination
4. Religious Profession
5. Ordination of Permanent Deacons
6. Anniversary (10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80 years) of Marriage*, Priestly Ordination, Religious Profession
7. Birthday (18, 30, 40, 50, 55, 60, 65,70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100-110 years)*
When an asterisk (*) is given, the person ordering the parchment is asked to make a “declaration of eligibility” (in other words, that the persons for whom the Blessing is intended are both Catholic and practicing), expressed simply by a short declaration, by one’s own responsibility, agreeing to the necessary conditions.
Requests for papal blessings for occasions other than those indicated cannot not be considered.
3. The parchments cannot be requested by post or fax or email, but only in person at the Office of Papal Charities or with the online procedure.